09 October 2008

October Break, Sigh.





Anne Brigman, Japonesque Tidal Islands on the Coast of Maine
Paul Strand, 2 views of Iris, Georgetown, ME

"I will look at cliffs and clouds
with quiet eyes,
Watch the wind bow down the grass
and the grass rise."
--"Afternoon on a Hill," Edna St. Vincent Millay

I've never taught anywhere that's had an October Break before. Even though it's only two days, and one of them is Columbus Day, I'm kind of excited. We just finished week 6--the best of intentions from the start of the semester are beginning to fade--absences increase, eyes look a little sleepier in class--this is the perfect time to regroup. And so, I will take Millay's wise advice this weekend. I promise to look with quiet eyes up in Five Islands where we're off to tomorrow. I'm excited to gaze off into the distance, walk by the ocean, and go to the place in this world that makes me happiest--F. Holland Day's House. Time just seems to stop there; my whole body relaxes when I walk through the door. I don't think it's an accident that so many photographers found inspiration there over the years. It's one of the few places I've been [and I've been a lot of places] where the environment can so quickly shape a mood of peace of contentment. So, with two grant applications and an article to finish, I hope to be inspired a bit, and to get some work done that's not a lecture, or paper assignment, or a big pile of essays to grade. I just want to read and write and get lost in it. I'll take some pictures and post them at the end of the weekend so you can see why I love it there so much. Off to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment